Vernon man gets 303 days in jail for break and enter

Vincent Silas Maxwell, 36, has been convicted 57 times since 2004

Vincent Silas Maxwell pleaded guilty to one charge of break and enter with intent to commit an offence and one charge of possession of stolen property at the Vernon law courts Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020. (RCMP photo)

Vincent Silas Maxwell pleaded guilty to one charge of break and enter with intent to commit an offence and one charge of possession of stolen property at the Vernon law courts Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020. (RCMP photo)

A Vernon man with a long history of breaking and entering will spend nearly a year behind bars for crimes committed in Vernon earlier this year.

Vincent Silas Maxwell pleaded guilty to one count of breaking and entering with intent to commit an offence and one count of possession of stolen property (PSP) at the Vernon law courts Wednesday, Nov. 4. Judge Richard Hewson sentenced Maxwell to 18 months in jail followed by 18 months probation.

Maxwell had 237 days of credit for time spent in custody, meaning he’ll serve a total of 303 days in jail.

The court heard that on May 31 at 10:15 a.m., a woman returned to her home on 43rd Street in Vernon and discovered an unknown man inside. When she saw the man, she screamed, and the intruder panicked and ran out the back door of the house. The woman then yelled out to two men who were with her, who ran to the back yard in search of the intruder. One of them managed to trip the intruder and the two pinned him down until police arrived.

The intruder was identified as Maxwell, who initially resisted arrest but was detained after a brief struggle.

READ MORE: Silver Star association challenge dismissed: B.C. Supreme Court

Later that day, video surveillance footage tied Maxwell to a separate incident in the same part of town at around the same time. A homeowner on Okanagan Avenue had reported a Google Home device had been stolen from her back yard. Police observed the surveillance footage and observed the suspect wearing the same clothing as Maxwell from that morning’s arrest. The device was found in Maxwell’s possession and seized.

The Crown noted Maxwell has a significant criminal record with 57 convictions since 2004, including seven break and enters.

Defence lawyer Nicholas Jacob said the 36-year-old has been through many challenges in his life, having been “basically on his own since the age of 15,” and having been a victim of sexual assault during his formative years. The court heard that while in custody, the 36-year-old from Prince George has undertaken drug and addiction treatment programs and enrolled in a woodworking course, learning skills he hopes to use to find employment upon his release.

“His plan for the future is simply to stay off drugs, try and get a job in the carpentry industry and at 36 years of age to start fresh,” Jacob said.

Under his probation order, Maxwell must not make contact with the complainant in his PSP charge, must not be within 50 metres of the 43rd Street property and must attend drug and alcohol counselling. He was also given a mandatory five-year firearms ban.

Defence lawyer Nicholas Jacob initially asked that there be no mandated drug and alcohol treatment on Maxwell’s probation order, to reduce the chance of him getting caught in a “cycle of incarceration.” But when Hewson put the question to Maxwell himself, he said he was in favour of the condition.

“I want to do something like that so I can get out and actually do something, instead of getting out and doing drugs,” Maxwell said.

Maxwell was the subject of a police search in 2016 when he was wanted by the Vernon RCMP for being unlawfully at large.

READ MORE: Inquiry hears players stayed away from B.C. casinos after organized-crime arrests


Brendan Shykora
Reporter, Vernon Morning Star
Email me at Brendan.Shykora@vernonmorningstar.com
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter

Courttheft

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Vernon law courts. (Caitlin Clow - Morning Star)

Just Posted

The Penticton Curling Club is closed due to a member testing positive for COVID. (Facebook)
COVID-19 case closes Penticton Curling Club

A member tested positive, says the curling club

Sickle Point as seen from the air. (Kaleden Community Association - David Mai)
Efforts to save Sickle Point down to the wire

The riparian wetland is in the middle of a court-ordered sale

COVID-19. (Image courtesy CDC)
Interior Health reports 65 new cases of COVID-19

Province-wide, there are 887 new cases of the virus

Darrell RIchards and his Harley Davidson Streetglide in front of Discovery House in Penticton on Nov. 5. (Brennan Phillips - Western News)
Penticton biker still in running for custom chopper competition

Darrell Richards is sitting in first in the final round of the group stage

Penticton's Courthouse. (File)
Six months jail for robbing Okanagan cannabis dispensary

After time served, the 29-year-old has another month in prison

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry update the COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, Nov. 23, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C. sets another COVID-19 record with 887 new cases

Another 13 deaths, ties the highest three days ago

RCMP searched for a suspect in Polson Park following an assault on a woman Thursday, Nov. 26. (Morning Star file photo)
Public warned after woman assaulted in Vernon’s Polson Park

RCMP on the hunt for suspect, described as in his 30’s

Arthur Topham has been sentenced to one month of house arrest and three years of probation after breaching the terms of his probation. Topham was convicted of promoting hate against Jewish people in 2015. (Photo submitted)
Quesnel man convicted for anti-Semitic website sentenced to house arrest for probation breach

Arthur Topham was convicted of breaching probation following his 2017 sentence for promoting hatred

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Langley School District's board office. (Langley Advance Times files)
‘Sick Out’ aims to pressure B.C. schools over masks, class sizes

Parents from Langley and Surrey are worried about COVID safety in classrooms

The baby boy born to Gillian and Dave McIntosh of Abbotsford was released from hospital on Wednesday (Nov. 25) while Gillian continues to fight for her life after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
B.C. mom with COVID-19 still fighting for life while newborn baby now at home

Son was delivered Nov. 10 while Gillian McIntosh was in an induced coma

Paul Biro of Summerland has organized a special drive-by holiday lights event to take place on the evening of Friday, Nov. 27. (Contributed)
Extra COVID-19 safety protocols added to Summerland drive-by lights tour

Map is available by download; living nativity and Santa display eliminated

Summerland’s recreational facilities, including the arena and the aquatic centre, are open at present, but regulations are in place to slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. (Summerland Review file photo>
COVID-19 safety protocols in place at Summerland’s municipal buildings

Doors remain open, but masks, physical distancing and other measures have been put in place

The Rutland IGA is located in Willow Park Shopping Centre at 590 BC-33. (Michael Rodriguez - Kelowna Capital News)
Customer asked to mask up, throws hot coffee at Kelowna IGA employee

The woman grabbed cat food on her way out when she refused to wear a mask

Most Read