Students stage walkout in Keremeos

Students in fear of losing their school year staged a picket line across the street from Similkameen Elementary Secondary School on June 4.

It was the students of Similkameen Elementary Secondary School's turn to protest on June 4 as the B.C. teachers job action and dispute with the province continued

Students  in fear of losing their school year staged a picket line across the street from Similkameen Elementary Secondary School on Wednesday, June 4.

Between 12 and 15 students participated in the protest, covering grades eight to 12.

“We want to get both parites back to the bargaining table,” said Haley Kaufman. “We’ve had our extra-cirricular activities cut, grad has been cancelled, and teachers can’t help us outside the classroom.”

“We’re afraid our exams will be cancelled,” said fellow student Reiley Terbasket, “we’ve had our sports banquet cancelled, and students who need extra help before the exams can’t get it.”

The students were determined to stage their protest for the complete school day.

The school issued a notice to parents earlier in the week in order to make them aware that walkout activities planned by the students would not be sanctioned or supervised by the school. The school also attempted to dissuade students from participating in the picket.

Principal Cate Turner said that meetings were taking place to make arrangements for grad ceremonies. She said it would be the province’s decision whether or not provincial final exams would take place. She noted there were still opportunities for students to get extra help within the present reduced hour school day.

“The athletic banquet has been cancelled,” she said, “but we are planning to incorporate the athletic banquet into the academic awards ceremony.” Turner said the decision to roll the two events into one was made because staff coaches would be unable to attend the event while community coaches would, creating an awkward situation for those athletes without coaches.

 

Just Posted

Central Okanagan MP candidates put thousands into Facebook ads

Liberal candidate Stephen Fuhr leads the pack with over $15,000 in ad spending according to a report

Ellis Creek restoration comes with $30 million price tag for Penticton

Residents are able to provide feedback on the restoration plan until Nov. 1

Souperbowl Sunday is back for fifth year this weekend

Organizers say they are looking for a fourth chef to compete in round 2 on Oct. 27

Keremeos Legion silent auction raises record amount

The silent auction brought in just under $4,000, says volunteer Susan Hoffus

Quantum 1 cannabis retailer scheduled to open Nov. 1

Owner Russ Rossi promises modern shopping experience

Competition shakes up for the Okanagan Mixoff

The Okanagan Mixoff takes place Nov. 7 in Kelowna

Woman, 24, faces life-altering injuries after being dragged 4 blocks by vehicle in Vancouver

A gofundme account says the woman will have to undergo multiple complex surgeries

Fatal overdoses down by 33% in B.C., but carfentanil deaths continue to spike

Carfentanil, an illicit drug more powerful than fentanyl, causing more deaths than ever

South Okanagan dangerous offender guilty plea struck down

Trial delayed again because Ronald Teneycke failed to elect his choice of trial

Six bears destroyed in three days in West Kelowna

A West Kelowna business has been charged for leaving garbage around Lake Okanagan Resort

West Kelowna Warriors being sold back to BC Hockey League

Current owner Kim Dobranski said the sale back to the BCHL should be completed by the end of October

Police standoff ends peacefully in West Kelowna

A distraught man was taken into custody Wednesday afternoon

Most Read