Keremeos Volunteer Fire Department were called out to a chimney fire around 4 a.m. Friday morning.
Jordy Bosscha, fire chief for the department, said when they arrived the fire was already out.
“The homeowner managed to get it out by the time we got there,” he said. “But, it’s a great to time to remind people to clean out their chimney’s and to change your smoke alarm.”
Eleven firefighters attended the call at the single story home on Starvation Flats, along River Road across the Red Bridge. A crew got up on the roof and put specialized equipment down the chimney that has a nozzle and puts out a high pressure mist to ensure the fire was extinguished.
Bosscha said the fire department encourages people to call in when they experience a chimney fire.
“If you wait it might be too late,” he said. “We’d rather do that then go and have to work on a whole structure fire.”
To report a typo, email: