Suspect in Kamloops shootout with Mounties expected to enter pleas

Shane Caron faces numerous charges, including four counts of attempted murder.

  • Nov. 6, 2018 11:30 a.m.

Shane Caron.

Kamloops This Week

A Kamloops man charged in connection with a shootout with police and a lengthy standoff in a trailer park last year is expected to plead guilty, a judge was told Monday.

Shane Caron was arrested at 4 a.m. on Oct. 28, 2017, following a 17-hour standoff with police in the G&M Trailer Park on the Tk’emlups te Secwepemc reserve.

The standoff followed a police chase and multiple exchanges of gunfire between the suspect and officers, Mounties said at the time.

At the time, police said they were called to a home on Nelson Avenue for a reported domestic assault. Officers said they attempted to make contact with the suspect before he threatened to shoot them.

Read more: Parents of suspect in Kamloops standoff say system failed their son

Read more: Kamloops man faces attempted murder charges following police standoff

Speaking to reporters following the incident, then-RCMP Supt. Brad Mueller said the suspect emerged from the house armed with a rifle and fled in a pickup truck. Mueller said police followed the vehicle to the Mount Paul Industrial Park. where the suspect is alleged to have engaged police in multiple exchanges of gunfire.

Mueller said the suspect then retreated to his family’s home in G&M Trailer Park. Police secured the area, shut down traffic along nearby Highway 5 North and Caron was eventually arrested.

The 39-year-old is facing a raft of charges, including four counts of attempted murder, which allege Caron was trying to kill four police officers by firing shots at them.

During a brief hearing in B.C. Supreme Court on Monday, defence lawyer Jonathan Avis said a plea agreement has already been reached on another one of Caron’s outstanding criminal files and he expects the same outcome for the remaining charges.

“The other one seems to be going toward resolution,” he said.

The previous charges — criminal harassment, uttering threats, two counts of assault and two weapons charges — stem from an alleged incident on Oct. 14, 2017, two weeks before Caron’s arrest following the G&M Trailer Park standoff.

Avis and Crown prosecutor Adrienne Murphy asked for two weeks to further their discussions.

Caron is slated to return to court on Nov. 19.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Talks continue on structure of regional fire departments

Okanagan-Similkameen directors heard under the current structure the CAO’s title would need to change

PRICK! sees increase in patients

The rainbow friendly service offers STI and HIV screening monthly

First Things First evoking the power of song and play

Environmental group educating through entertainment

Super blood wolf moon fills Okanagan skies, to photographers’ delight

Photographers had a rare chance Sunday to capture a rare lunar eclipse

Keremeos cannabis shop waiting on provincial approval

Quantum 1 has applications in with the province to open seven stores including one in Keremeos

UPDATE: B.C. legislature managers accused of excessive travel, personal expense claims

Clerk Craig James, security chief Gary Lenz call allegations ‘completely false’

B.C. man fined $10,000 after leaving moose to suffer before death

Surrey man was convicted last week on three Wildlife Act charges

Man charged in 7-Eleven fire in Shuswap granted bail

Accused facing arson charges released with 23 conditions including a 7 p.m. curfew

‘Blue Monday’ isn’t real, but depression can be

CMHA encourages people to prioritize their mental health

Anti-pipeline group wants NEB to consider impact of emissions, climate change

Stand.earth filed NEB motion asking to apply same standard to the project as it did with Energy East pipeline

Parole granted for drunk driver who killed B.C. RCMP officer

Kenneth Jacob Fenton will be able to attend alcohol abuse treatment, nearly three years after crash that killed Const. Sarah Beckett

B.C. man charged in 2014 snake venom death of toddler

Henry Thomas was taking care of the North Vancouver girl the day before she died

B.C.’s largest public-sector union wants inquiry into money laundering, drugs

Union officials say Premier John Horgan and Attorney General David Eby have not ruled out the possibility of a public inquiry

Teen in confrontation with Native American: I didn’t provoke

Nick Sandmann of Covington Catholic High School said he was trying to defuse the situation

Most Read