City of Penticton CAO Donny van Dyk is being sued by his former employer, Enbridge, for $30,779.92 for allegedly violating a relocation payment agreement. (File Photo)

Penticton CAO sued by former employer Enbridge

Enbridge is seeking $30,779.92 from Donny Van Dyk due to a relocation payment agreement violation

Penticton’s Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is being sued by his former employer, Enbridge, due to allegedly violating a previously signed relocation payment agreement.

The Calgary-based natural gas distribution company filed a notice of claim in the province’s small claims court on Oct. 7, requesting Donny Van Dyk to repay $30,799.92, which Enbridge expensed under a relocation payment agreement.

The claim states that Van Dyk entered the agreement on Aug. 31, 2017, and it stipulates that “a percentage of the relocation cost would immediately become due and payable if certain events occurred within 24 months of the date (Van Dyk) was expected to start work.”

READ MORE: New Penticton CAO has background with Enbridge

The claim goes on to state the agreement stipulates that Van Dyk would pay 100 per cent of the relocation cost, $40,791.90, if he resigned on a date less than 12 months of his start.

Furthermore, if he resigned between 12 months and 18 months after his relocation date, he would be expected to repay 75 per cent of the relocation cost, and if he resigned between 18 to 24 months of his start date he would be expected to repay 50 per cent of the relocation cost.

Enbridge is seeking $30,593.92, plus interest and legal costs, from Van Dyk as his resignation from his position on Sept. 20, 2017, was 17 months after his effective relocation date. The claim states that Enbridge sent a letter dated July 25, 2019, demanding full payment by July 31, 2019, to which Van Dyk responded and said he had retained legal counsel.

“I was made aware of this claim yesterday (Oct. 7) via a member of the media. I have not been served with the claim and don’t intend to discuss this matter publicly,” stated Van Dyk in an email to Western News on Oct. 8.

Enbridge claims to date, Van Dyk’s lawyer has not contacted the company concerning the debt owing and none of the allegations made by Enbridge have been proven in court.

To report a typo, email: editor@pentictonwesternnews.com.

Jordyn Thomson | Reporter
JordynThomson 
Send Jordyn Thomson an email.
Like the Western News on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Be mindful of COVID-19 safety measures, says City of Penticton

“The threat of COVID-19 is not over,” says mayor John Vassilaki

COLUMN: Books come back with curbside pickup

Okanagan Regional Library begins first phase of reopening process

Summerland once had Old English theme

Design guidelines were introduced in late 1980s

A second wave of COVID-19 is probable, if history tells us anything

B.C.’s top doctor says that what health officials have learned this round will guide response in future

Crews repair damaged lakefront walkway in Summerland

Flooding in 2017 and 2018 took toll on popular walking path

Trudeau to seek 10 days of paid sick leave for Canadian workers, says talks are ongoing

Paid sick leave is key to keeping COVID-19 spread under control, prime minister says

Andrew Weaver says he was ready to defeat John Horgan government

Independent MLA blasts B.C. Greens over LNG opposition

44% fewer passengers flew on Canadian airlines in March 2020 than in 2019

COVID-19 pandemic has hit airlines hard as travel remains low

Douglas fir trees in Salmon Arm face attack from bark beetle

Online pamphlet can help residents learn how to protect their trees

Power knocked out for 1,700 Lake Country residents

BC Hydro crews on scene to restore the outage

Commercial rent relief applications open as feds encourage landlords to apply

Program would see government cover 50 per cent of the rent

Truck thief runs out of gas in North Okanagan

Pickup stolen from Coldstream, found not far away

COVID-19: B.C. park reservations surge as campgrounds reopen

Keep trying, many sites not reservable, George Heyman says

Most Read