Keremeos area addiction facility on track to reopen early in 2017

The Crossing, a residential addiction rehabilitation centre, outside of Keremeos is set to reopen in early 2017.

A new operator for The Crossing is expected to be chosen by the end of August. The facility is on track to reopen for early 2017.

A provider will soon be chosen for the remodelled addictions facility located just outside of Keremeos.

A Ministry spokesperson told the Review that the search for an operator for the The Crossing should conclude by the end of August.

The doors of The Crossing closed abruptly in March 2015 after then operator Portage pulled out of running the facility.

The province announced earlier this summer the facility would reopen early in 2017, serving a slightly older age group.

The thorough process to hire an operator started in mid-May and included the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) issuing a request for qualifications (RFQ).

Responses to the RFQ were reviewed by a provincial Evaluation Committee. Based on evaluation results, a short list of candidates was established to move to the Request for Proposal (RFP) phase.

The RFP was sent to the short-listed candidates on July 18.

Short-listed candidates were invited to participate in a tour of the facility in Keremeos on August 12.

Once the province has chosen an operator, contract negotiations will begin immediately. It’s unknown how long it will take to complete negotiations.

Once they are finished the commissioning of the facility will start along with recruitment and management of staff.

The process has moved along relatively quickly starting with the provincial  announcement in May that a new plan to run the facility was devised.

Previously The Crossing was funded through the Fraser Health and Coastal Health regions and serviced a younger clientele aged 14 to 17.

Now the facility, which will have 22 beds available to start, will service young adults aged 17 to 24 and is funded directly through the PHSA.

Prior to its closure Interior Health raised concerns with the facility’s licensing. Issues included training of staff among other issues. Both sides, Portage and the province cited budgetary concerns with regards to the closure.

The province questioned how money was being spent at the facility. An external audit was in the works at the time of the closure. The province suspended the audit when the facility closed.

Portage operated the facility since it opened in 2009. It’s annual budget for that time was $2.5 million.

Central City Foundation, a longstanding non-profit in the Lower Mainland, owns the property The Crossing operates from. The foundation leases the facility to the province at no-charge.

Just Posted

Work continues to deal with flooding

Increased efforts to mitigate flooding at Sportsmens Bowl and downstream

Reel Reviews: Parlour games or video games

We say, “Rampage is silly fun and Truth or Dare is just silly”

Look back to simpler summers

Rotary honourees reminisce about South Okanagan summers

Okanagan-Similkameen freshet looms large: district

Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen says property owners have window to prepare for flooding

Final week for ALR input

Public consultation process closes April 30

REPLAY: B.C. this week in video

In case you missed it, here’s a look at replay-worthy highlights from across the province this week

Low fog creates stunning views near Sicamous

Motorists on the highway between Salmon Arm and Sicamous were treated to spectacular scenery.

Dix says B.C. remains focused on fighting youth overdoses in wake of teen’s death

Elliot Eurchuk’s parents say he died at his Oak Bay home after taking street drugs

‘When everybody leaves: Counselling key to help Humboldt move on after bus crash

Dealing with life after a tragedy can be the worst part following a loss

Half-naked shooter guns down four, runs away in Nashville Waffle House shooting

Nashville police say they are looking for Travis Reinking in connection with the shooting

Child’s body found in river downstream from where boy went missing during flood

Three-year-old Kaden Young was swept out of his mother’s arms in February

B.C. VIEWS: Eliminating efficiency for farm workers

Don’t worry, NDP says, the B.C. economy’s booming

Penticton students tackle dark themes in Oliver

Penticton Secondary School’s theatre program brings to the stage Oliver

Kamloops RCMP respond to report of dead body floating in Thompson River

Body has not been located, searches to continue as river conditions improve

Most Read