The trial of Afshin Maleki Ighani has been adjourned until Jan. 19 after possible new evidence was found. Western News file photo

Ighani trial on hold until 2019

New evidence in the trial of alleged kidnapper in Penticton

There was another twist Wednesday in the Supreme Court trial of 47-year-old Afshin Maleki Ighani, who is facing 10 charges related to an alleged armed kidnapping on April 17, 2017.

Related: Shot fired during take down of alleged armed Okanagan kidnapper

Justice Nitya Iyer agreed, on day three of the trial, with the request from counsel for an adjournment after new information surfaced regarding Jodie Walker, one of the two people that were allegedly kidnapped.

At the start of proceedings Wednesday, defence attorney Paul McMurray told the court he had just learned, on Tuesday, about Walker’s Oct. 18 interview with Kelowna RCMP major crime officers.

In that interview, which took place in an RCMP vehicle outside of Walker’s mother’s Okanagan Falls home on an unrelated matter, Walker commented on the alleged kidnapping. She also spoke about what Crown believes were telephone calls between her and Ighani while he was in custody.

Related: Man accused of yet another violent incident at Okanagan jail

Wednesday, after Walker took the stand for the second time during the trial, the case was adjourned to allow the investigating officer to apply for Ighani’s telephone recordings from two institutions where he had been held.

“The contents of those records (telephone recordings) in my respective submission may significant bearing on Ms. Walker’s credibility and may open a line of cross-examination,” said McMurray, noting that the statement about calls with Ighani in the Oct. 18 RCMP interview was at odds with Walker’s claims.

When she was called to the stand Monday, Walker recalled almost nothing of her statement to RCMP April 22, 2017, about the details of the kidnapping and did not recognize herself in the police video of the statement.

As a result of that, Crown made application to the courts Tuesday to accept the video as evidence of truth of content.

Justice Iyer has not yet ruled on that application.

When Walker took the stand Wednesday she was asked by Swanson if she recalled being interviewed by the police on Oct. 18, she initially replied: “No I don’t.”

Portions of the recorded interview were played back to the court. When Swanson asked Walker if she recognized her voice she said she did.

He then asked if she had had any contact or communication with Ighani since he was arrested and she replied: “No, I haven’t”

“None?” asked Swanson.

“None,” said Walker.

He then asked, reading from a written transcript of the recording, if she told the officers Ighani was the one who kidnapped her with a firearm.

“I might have,” she said, adding that the kidnapping of her and her then-boyfriend Christopher Gliege may have been a result of a matter involving drugs that had been stolen from Ighani.

Gliege is thought to have gone the United States and his testimony from the preliminary hearing is being used as evidence in the matter.

The case has been set over until Jan. 7, 2019 to fix a continuation date. Ighani is to be in Supreme Court that day on another matter.

Related:Alleged violent offender Ighani denied bail


 

@PentictonNews
newstips@pentictonwesternnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.


 MarkBrett
Send Mark Brett an email.
Like the Western News on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Jensen scores impressive 341 on Keremeos lanes

Another great week on the lanes for Keremeos and area bowlers

50 charities receive grants within the South Okanagan-Similkameen

Community Foundation of the South Okanagan-Similkameen has approved granting of over $380,000

Icewine harvest begins for some Okanagan wineries

Cold temperatures prompted wineries to start their icewine harvest

Powder report: Rain in valley, snow on the ski hills

Get your ski gear ready as area mountains are ready for you to enjoy all the Interior winter has to offer this season.

Busy day for Penticton Search and Rescue

PENSAR was called to three separate incidents Sunday, Dec. 16

‘Are we going to play?’ Alberta boy with rare illness no big deal for classmates

Porter Stanley is one of 30 people in the world to be diagnosed with Beare-Stevenson syndrome, a craniofacial disorder.

Publication ban on name of girl killed in Abbotsford school lifted

Reimer’s family had supported an application by Black Press to lift ban

Family saved but pets lost in Shuswap house fire

Firefighters manage to extinguish the blaze but a cat and dog perished

B.C. securities regulator probes ‘most expansive’ alleged trading scheme in its history

Liht Cannabis Corp states it’s doing internal investigation, welcomes BC Securities Commission probe

Air passenger rights: 6 things about what the Liberals are offering

For 3- to 6-hour delays, compensation is $400. Between 6 and 9 hours, $700. Over 9 hours is $1,000

RCMP, civilian vehicles rammed in North Okanagan incident

Police attempt to stop truck near Enderby, thought to be tied to alleged Salmon Arm armed robbery

New biker gang with ties to Hells Angels crops up in Lower Mainland

The Street Reapers were formed late last year and have been seen in Fort Langley.

10-lane George Massey bridge too big, B.C. study says

Consultants say replacement tunnel cost similar to new bridge

Couple caught up in B.C. Legislature bomb plot to learn their fate

John Nuttall and Amanda Korody were arrested as part of an undercover RCMP sting on Canada Day 2013

Most Read