An Evacuation Alert was issued by the Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen (RDOS) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) on Wednesday, July 16.
The alert was issued after a wildfire that broke out in the area around Apex and Green Mountain Roads on Tuesday.
Fears of the fire threatening homes and buildings in the area prompted the alert for the following areas:
146, 108, 22, 26, 18, 20 Apex Mountain Road, and 1992, 1940, 1918, 1995, 1925, 1907 and Burlington Ranch (Lot 5,Plan KAP70897 DL 1799 SDYD) on Green Mountain Road .
Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however the RDOS said residents may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
In the event of an evacuation, residents are being asked to use Green Mountain Road as directed either to Highway 3 or towards Penticton. A registration / reception center for you to report to will be identified and announced at that time.
The regional district also has the following advice for those on an evacuation alert:
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for a potential evacuation order by:
– Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a Reception Centre outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
– Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
– Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
– Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
– Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required.
– Monitoring news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of Reception Centres.