Jason of Sunrise Restorations donned protective gear Monday morning prior to beginning clean up operations on the property that most recently housed The Paw Spa.
The building, which burned in the early morning hours of February 3, contained construction materials containing asbestos. Due to health regulations introduced three years ago, elaborate precautions must now be undertaken by contractors dealing with asbestos -containing building materials. Worksafe BC has prepared a safe work procedures booklet for handling asbestos that contains 128 pages.
Jason prepared himself by dressing in white coveralls, duct taped at the arms and legs. He also used an air supplied breathing mask.
The sidewalk in front of the work zone was cordoned off, and a two by four framework lined with orange plastic shielded the work area from passers-by. Signs warning of the asbestos hazard were also highly visible.
It is expected to take two days to clean up and remove the hazardous materials on site, after which final removal can be conducted. The lot should be cleaned up by the end of the week.