A convicted child sex offender who was living close to John Allison Elementary School in Princeton, has been relocated by Corrective Services Canada (CSC).
Andrew Mullaly, 38, was moved out of town just days after The Spotlight published a story on its website about his presence in the community, and his home’s proximity to the school playground.
A spokesperson for the CSC confirmed the relocation.
“We can confirm that the offender is currently not living in Princeton. As per the Privacy Act, we cannot disclose information about an offender’s file, including his location,” said Lucinda Fraser.
Gordon Comeau, vice-chairperson of the Nicola Similkameen School District, expressed relief when he learned of the relocation.
While the offender was living less than 100 metres from the school playground, he was not in violation of his parole conditions or breaking any laws.
After the story appeared Friday, “we had a number of parents approach us,” he said.
Teachers and playground supervisors were informed, and instructed to keep a close eye on outdoor areas.
Princeton Mayor Spencer Coyne, who previously called Mullaly’s parole conditions “lacking when it comes to public safety,” also applauded the CSC decision to relocate the offender.
“It’s great, but it still shows that we have a system that has serious flaws … It’s a shame it happened in the first place.”
Mullaly was convicted in a Chilliwack courtroom in April 2019 of charges related to sex assault and child pornography. He was arrested after a young victim came forward to report five years of abuse, and he pleaded guilty.
In June of that year he was sentenced to 18 months in prison, followed by three years parole. He was granted probation in November, 2019.
Conditions of Mullaly’s parole include abstaining from drugs and alcohol, and reporting intimate relationships.
They also state Mullaly must “…not to be in the presence of any female children under the age of 16 unless you are accompanied by a responsible adult who knows your criminal history and has previously been approved in writing, by your parole supervisor.”
According to a family member, and a local witness, Mullaly lives with his wife and two young children.
The parole board decision, dated Nov. 14, 2019, reads in part: “Between 2013 and 2018 you sexually assaulted (redacted) on approximately 20 separate occasions. The assaults began when she was 11 years old. You pled guilty to the charges and have taken full responsibility for your actions. You have no other criminal offences or charges, and therefore no criminal record…
“…You have family members, your parents and your wife, who are supportive of you. A community assessment completed on them says that they are supportive of your release and will hold you accountable. They have spoken highly of the changes that you have made in your life such as attending sex offender support groups, and abstaining from alcohol, drugs, and pornography. A psychological assessment completed for your trial found you to be a low risk of future sexual reoffending if you obtained treatment for sexual addiction, and maintained your abstinence from problematic sexual behaviour.”
To report a typo, email: