Charges against an Osoyoos mountie who allegedly was indecent in public were dropped earlier this year.
In Penticton court, the Const. Ryan Fulcher’s case had been scheduled originally for Dec. 12, 2019, however it had been adjourned at the request of the defence for July 30, 2020.
In an email on Oct. 29, communications counsel for BC Prosecution Dan McLaughlin confirmed that the charges against Fulcher had been dropped by the Crown prosecution earlier this year.
“The charge against Mr. Fulcher was stayed on May 5, 2020, as the Crown Counsel with conduct of the file determined that the charge assessment standard was no longer met,” said McLaughlin.
“Under the Charge Assessment Guidelines, charges will only be approved or continued where Crown Counsel is satisfied that the evidence gathered by the investigative agency provides a substantial likelihood of conviction…”
The incident Fulcher had been charged with is alleged to have occurred on Sept. 29, 2018 at or near Penticton.
RCMP had launched an internal investigation into the incident, with a closed-door in-camera conduct hearing originally scheduled for Jan. 2020.
RCMP Communication Services told the Western News previously that generally RCMP conduct hearings are open to the public and media, however a code of conduct board recently ruled the upcoming hearing be held in-camera, with no confirmed date. According to RCMP, the reasons for doing so are not available to the public.
In December, the officer was suspended with pay and their duty status was being continuously assessed.
Fulcher had previously been posted to the Osoyoos Federal Serious and Organized Crime Unit.
To report a typo, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.