Alleged Okanagan hockey fraudster won’t skate free before trial

Back in custody after skipping his trial last September, Loren Reagan was denied bail Tuesday

Loren Reagan, accused of defrauding hockey parents of tens of thousands of dollars on a failed trip to Europe, was recently arrested on a Canada-wide warrant and was been denied bail.

Reagan, who had missed his trial in Penticton during the fall of 2017, was taken into custody on March 3 in Calgary. The bail hearing on Tuesday is under a publication ban.

Related: Alleged hockey fraudster Loren Reagan back in the penalty box

Co-accused Michael Elphicke was found guilty of fraud and theft over $5,000 and unauthorized operation of a lottery scheme over the failed Okanagan Elite Hockey Association trip to Europe at the end of a weeks-long trial in October. He is now awaiting sentencing. Reagan, meanwhile, was wanted on a Canada-wide warrant after his lawyer at the time, Kim Ross from Calgary, informed the court that he believed Reagan had not intended to show up for trial after receiving notice that he was out of country.

During Elphicke’s trial, the court heard that the hockey program had raised about $184,000 from parents through a raffle. By mid-January 2012, just $13,000 remained in the Okanagan Elite Hockey Association accounts.

Related: Elphicke painting Penticton hockey fraud as one-man scam

At the time of the trial, Elphicke had set up a Facebook group taking aim at Reagan for the charges, its title calling for “justice” for Reagan. That Facebook group is reportedly in the crosshairs of a fresh lawsuit brought on by Reagan against seven individuals, including Elphicke, who, in an interview, said he hadn’t been served the legal documents as of Monday.

Among the others named, Elphicke’s wife, Tana, and Linda Hansen, who sent the Western News photos of the legal document. The Western News reached out to the Calgary courthouse for confirmation of the lawsuit, but has not received a call back.

Related: Loren Reagan skates off on hockey fraud trial

According to the document, the group’s description encouraged members to “feel free to use this medium to post your experiences, photos, videos or anything else regarding this man and his con games and scams.”

“Further posts called the plaintiff ‘a scumbag,’ ‘a piece of sh—’ and suggested he was a fraudster and a con man,” the lawsuit reads.

Though Elphicke said in an interview activity on the page had significantly died down since before the trial, it did continue until Facebook shut it down on Feb. 19, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit claims Reagan lost his job with the Kuwait Drilling Company as a result of the Facebook group and it was created to defame him.

“The Facebook postings have prejudiced the plaintiff in obtaining a fair trial in Penticton,” the lawsuit reads.

It is seeking $200,000 from Elphicke, $100,000 each from two other men and $50,000 each from four women, totalling $600,000, as well as legal costs.

Related: Elphicke painting Penticton hockey fraud as one-man scam

Reagan is expected to return to the Penticton courthouse on March 26 to schedule a trial date.

Report a typo or send us your tips, photos and video.

Dustin Godfrey | Reporter

@dustinrgodfrey

Send Dustin an email.
Like the Western News on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Popular Similkameen winery grows

Corcelettes winery outside Keremeos has bought more land and is expanding

Water samples good, Hedley awaits drinking water A-OK

Water woes in Hedley had some residents questioning the communication plan of the HID earlier this week

Nature Trust of B.C. purchases property in South Okanagan

Parcel will be added to White Lake biodiversity ranch

‘I thought I was dead as soon as I saw the gun’

Keremeos gas station attendant tells story about man with gun coming to store

Another successful year for Cram the Cruiser Keremeos

Volunteers held another Cram the Cruiser event in Keremeos on Monday.

Omar Khadr wants changes to bail conditions

‘My life is held in suspension’, says the former Guantanamo Bay detainee

Sissons scores OT winner as Predators beat Canucks 4-3

VIDEO: Vancouver battles back to earn single point in Nashville

Lions announce seven members of coaching staff not coming back for 2019

The operational moves come two days after the Lions announced DeVone Claybrooks as the team’s new head coach

Missing man last seen in Shuswap

Red Deer RCMP would like public’s help locating elderly man with dementia last observed in Sicamous

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read