Effective at 12 noon on Saturday, October 15, all open fires will be permitted within the Kamloops Fire Centre due to a decreased risk of wildfires.
Within the Kamloops Fire Centre, the public will be permitted to:
* Burn waste, slash or other material.
* Burn stubble or grass.
* Use fireworks or burning barrels of any size or description.
The rescinding of the restrictions applies to all BC Parks, Crown and private lands, but does not apply within the boundaries of local governments that have forest fire prevention bylaws and are serviced by a fire department. Please check with civic authorities for any restrictions before lighting a fire.
Anyone considering Category 2 or 3 fires must comply with the Ministry of Environment’s Waste Management Act and open burning smoke control regulation. For more information, go to: www.bcairquality.ca
Category 3 fires require a burn registration number, which may be obtained by calling 1 888 797-1717. Individuals who fail to meet these requirements may be subject to fines.
Please follow these tips on using fire safely:
* Keep fire sites away from buildings, trees and other combustible materials.
* Do not burn during windy conditions.
* Have adequate people, water and hand tools available to prevent the fire from escaping.
* Never leave a fire unattended.
Contributed by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations