BACK TO SCHOOL In 1909 students in Garnet Valley attended a school in their area. Their teacher was Miss Ballantyne. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

A century ago, Summerland had numerous small schools

Schools existed in Garnet Valley, Meadow Valley, Prairie Valley, Trout Creek and Summerland

More than a century ago, students Summerland and the surrounding areas attended small schools.

The school in Garnet Valley opened in 1907. It closed temporarily in 1911, reopened in 1913 and closed permanently in 1919. Miss Ballantyne (her first name is not known) was the first teacher at the school and Ruth Dale was the last.

The school was one of several schools in outlying areas around Summerland

Mineola, known today as Meadow Valley, was a lumber town 16 kilometres from Summerland. There were 10 students in the area.

READ ALSO: Summerland heritage buildings still standing today

Eventually the area received some government funding in the amount of $150 which was put towards constructing a school. It was build by volunteers. Teachers at the school included: Ada Murray, Ms. Roadhouse, Ms. Caldwell, Ms. McLachlan, Mrs. Spears and Mrs. Lee. The school eventually shut down around 1923 when the mill closed.

Prairie Valley had a school from 1906 to 1911. Alva Elliot was the teacher.

The first school to open in Trout Creek was in 1906. It closed in 1911.

In 1916 there were enough children in Trout Creek to warrant having another school. When the home of the Brown family was vacated it became a school building in Trout Creek.

READ ALSO: Time to count the days until graduation

In 1917 a new school facility was opened on Johnson Street. It was closed in 1922.

In the early 20th century, children in Summerland, children attended a small school located at the foot of what was know as Chinaman’s Gulch in the Lowertown area.

In addition the Summerland Supply Company store was used as a school for Grade 6 and 7 students. Later on principal J.C. Robson tried to persuade the government that the community needed a high school. His persistence finally led to the construction of a two room school which was built in 1909.

Two years later an elementary school was built which temporarily closed outlying schools.

In 1922 an eight room school was constructed for Grades 1-8. High school was taught in a four room school until the current high school (Summerland Secondary School) was built in 1951.

In 1948 the eight room elementary school formerly known as Summerland Elementary, was expanded to 12 rooms and renamed MacDonald in 1951. The new name recognized long time principal S.A. MacDonald. The school operated on Rosedale Avenue until 1999, when it was demolished.

To report a typo, email:
news@summerlandreview.com
.



news@summerlandreview.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Princeton ATV rider slapped with numerous charges after complaint of near miss on the KVR

‘I would never defend actions like that’ - Ed Vermette, Princeton ATV Club president

Anarchist Mountain Fire Department extinguishes ‘flaming river’ on Highway 3

Blaze caused by truck that caught fire and leaked diesel across the road

Lower Similkameen Indian Band closes beach near Cawston to non-band members

The COVID-19 crisis “has not gone away” and “remains an ever present threat” says the LSIB

Morning Start: Dogs can smell cancer

Your morning start for Tuesday, July 7, 2020

In photos: Penticton Speedway celebrates opening weekend

Despite having to turn away roughly 700 cars, organizers celebrating a successful weekend of racing

84-year-old Okanagan resident finishes 12,000-piece puzzle

Willie Tribiger started the puzzle in 2013, completing it in six and a half years

Aces aplenty at Okanagan golf course

Vernon Golf and Country Club has 14 recorded holes-in-one since April 30

Fraser Valley woman complains of violent RCMP takedown during wellness check

Mounties respond that she was not co-operating during Mental Health Act apprehension

B.C. sees 12 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths

Three outbreaks exist in health-care settings

Lost dog swims Columbia River multiple times searching for home

The dog was missing from his Castlegar home for three days.

Booze on beach extended through summer in Penticton

Pilot project will stay in place until Oct. 15

Sad ending in case of missing Okanagan senior

Body of Vernon man Wayne Orser found floating in Okanagan Lake Tuesday, July 7

COVID-19: B.C. promotes video-activated services card

Mobile app allows easier video identity verification

ICBC to resume road tests in July with priority for rebookings, health-care workers

Tests have been on hold for four months due to COVID-19

Most Read