- Our Town
Busy weekend ahead as Christmas in the Similkameen gets underway
Unseasonably warm temperatures are causing havoc with the annual opening of the Keremeos skating rink this year.
Similkameen Recreation Centre Manager Karl Donaghue was forced to postpone the traditional opening date of the rink until Saturday, December 8 at 7 p.m., rather than on the eve of the Christmas Light up. Above freezing temperatures and rain continue to interfere with the ice making process, and the weather forecast is not calling for temperatures to drop below zero until Friday evening.
If the weather forecast looks unfavourable for the skating rink, residents should at least be able to look forward to warmer conditions during Friday’s light up festival, as a very busy weekend in Keremeos gets underway.
Here is what is happening as the village officially kick starts the Christmas season:
Friday, December 7
- Christmas Craft Fair at Victory Hall from 3 until 8 p.m.
- Keremeos Christmas Parade gets underway at 5:30
- Visit with Santa at Victory Hall right after the parade.
- “A Christmas Chaos” begins a three day run at Cawston Hall, starting Friday at 7 p.m., doors open at 6:30.
Saturday, December 8
- Craft Fair at Victory Hall from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- Prizes for best business lightup and parade entries will be awarded around 3 p.m.
- Gibson House 100th anniversary happens at 521 Eleventh Avenue from 2 until 4 p.m.
- Ecumenical Parish tea, coffee and bake sale starts at 10 a.m.
- Cawston Players “A Christmas Chaos” at 7 p.m.
- Mountain View Manor plays host to the Bell Ringers at 7 p.m. Christmas baked goods also for sale.
Sunday, December 9
Cawston Players “A Christmas Chaos” holds two performances at Cawston Hall, including a matinee at 2 p.m. and a final performance at 7 p.m.
In addition to traditional light up events this weekend, eight wineries in the area will be holding open houses on December 7, 8 and 9. Patrons are invited to tour the valley’s wineries between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. to enjoy some wine tasting and check out gift ideas in seasonally decorated surroundings.